Blog is closing

Please update your links to my new blog home.

http://texasmomquilts.wordpress.com/

Thank you!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

All Wrapped Up!

Woo Hoo! I just finished my last Christmas quilting/sewing project! This one was a flannel lap quilt for Jack's grandmother (I put a picture of it on my quilt page, since there's not much chance she'll be on my blog). That makes 3 quilts (all small ones), 4 potholders, 1 pillow, 3 fleece blankets, 4 fleece scarves... and a partridge in a pear tree...LOL Now I can get cracking on Elijah's pirate quilt (loads of detailed handwork to be done yet before final assembly & quilting) and then there's the 50 squares I have to make for my block swap.

You know only a couple of years ago, I'd have laughed 'til I cried if you had tried to tell me I'd like sewing one day. My poor mom, bless her, tried to teach me to sew... did not go well. I just didn't have the patience for it back then, and she tried to get me to sew clothing, which I still can't do by the way. Quilting, on the other hand, has given me the creative outlet that I have been searching for (without even really knowing it) and I don't care what anyone says, IT'S WAY EASIER THAN MAKING CLOTHES! I tend to be really high-strung when it comes to crafts--and yes, MOM I can see your head nodding--and quilting actually relaxes me like I thought nothing ever would. Who knew that I would so quickly grow to love something from which I had run screaming for most of my life??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kathy, did you notice you have two floral stripes the left side of the lap blanket? Heh, heh... 9^D I still think it looks great anyway, and bet it will keep Jack's grandmother very warm, because of the flannel! 8^D Keep up the good work! 8^D
Love,ML (I couldn't comment on the picture section, so I had to come here)

TexasMomKJ said...

Actually, it's an illusion created by the cut of the fabric. If you zoom in, you can see that there's only one strip there, but the striping is a little different than the other strips. I perhaps could have been more careful in my cutting, but remember I'm just a beginner (was even moreso when I did the piecing on this blanket 6 months ago).

Anonymous said...

Just givin' ya a hard time! 8^D

In reality, it's a very beautiful lap blanket, and I am sure your GIL will love it a whole lot!